Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Epiphany 1- Not Quite Fabulous





epiphany
1.a Christian festival, observed onJanuary 6, commemorating the manifestation of Christ to thegentiles in the persons of the Magi; Twelfth-day
2. an appearance or manifestation, esp. of a deity.
3. a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by somesimple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.
4. a literary work or section of a work presenting, usually symbolically, such a moment of revelation and insight.

I recently experienced an epiphany of the third kind.  I had a sudden insight into a deeper meaning of something when my very homely, commonplace, un-fabulous radio broke. I bought it for my work area to make my clients feel more comfortable.  Because it wasn't a necessity, I thought that 20 bucks was the max I would spend.  Two months later the antenna broke. Three or four months later the CD player stopped playing.  Now, I can't even get talk radio station to come in clear!  So, I have to buy a whole new radio.  Not fabulous.

My epiphany was this: I have a responsibility to fully embody my role as a ruler in God's kingdom, as a co-heir with Christ, especially when it comes to how I handle money. I have a responsibility to be fabulous.

During the downest of down economies this generation has seen,  God has prospered me financially.  When many people are unemployed, I have a job that pays well, that I enjoy and is close to home.  When many people are being laid off, downsized or otherwise disposed of, I got a 4% raise.  When many people are fearing how they will pay their bills, I am starting a business and expecting great profit.

Why, then, am I afraid to spend money on myself?  Now I don't mean for frivolous pursuits.  But when I need something, why do I always get what is cheaper and of less quality and will end up wearing out and needing to be replaced?  Why do I put off things that need to be done with my money that will enhance my life and ministry and choose to put my money toward things that only slow me down and sap my energy? 

I do believe that my family was generationally cursed in the area of finances, on both sides, my parents come from people who lived through the Great Depression and came out depressed and oppressed.  Being set free from that curse, I now must live victoriously with my finances.  That means the underlying fear that there won't be enough and that no more is coming must be cast out by the knowledge that God's love for me won't let me be without what I need and that His unique call on my life is for wealth and abundance.

I have a right and responsibility to be fabulous.  My brand of fabulousness may be different from everyone else's, but like anyone else's, it is undeniable.  So today, I commit to stop denying my right to be fabulous!

My spirit declares freedom from lack and debt.  My spirit declares abundance and wealth for His glory.  My spirit declares my future generations to walk in even greater freedom and abundance, believing God for His riches in heaven to be made manifest for them on earth.

1 comment:

Angela said...

This speaks so much to my heart!

Post a Comment